Click Fraud and it’s consequences
Google are on the look out for Invalid clicks and impressions, this is known as click fraud.
As a publishers you may not click your own ads or use any means to inflate impressions and/or clicks artificially, including using manual methods.
Clicks on Google ads must result from genuine user interest. Any method that artificially generates clicks or impressions on your Google ads is strictly prohibited by Google.
These prohibited methods include, but are not limited to, repeated manual clicks or impressions, automated click and impression generating tools and the use of robots or deceptive software. Please note that clicking your own ads for any reason is prohibited and will get your account banned.
Publishers may not ask others to click their ads or use deceptive implementation methods to obtain clicks. This includes, but is not limited to, offering compensation to users for viewing ads or performing searches, promising to raise money for third parties for such behaviour or placing images next to individual ads.
So to summarise in order to ensure a good experience for users and advertisers, publishers participating in the AdSense program may not:
• Compensate users for viewing ads or performing searches, or promise compensation to a third party for such behaviour.
• Encourage users to click the Google ads using phrases such as “click the ads”, “support us”, “visit these links” or other similar language.
• Direct user attention to the ads using arrows or other graphical gimmicks.
• Place misleading images alongside individual ads.
• Place ads in a floating box script.
• Format ads so that they become indistinguishable from other content on that page.
• Format site content so that it is difficult to distinguish it from ads.
• Place misleading labels above Google ad units. For instance, ads may be labelled “Sponsored Links” or “Advertisements”, but not “Favourite Sites” or “Today’s Top Offers”.
Don’t get caught out by click fraud activities, it is the number one reason why accounts get banned – so play by the rules and your adsense income will be safe.